Dave Ramsey is the “Debt Snowball” master and inventor. For many, it makes complete sense, and for others-well, they argue that he has it backwards. All I can say is this… it works. Clearly you can find all sorts of info at DaveRamsey.com but I can break it down for ya 🙂
- list your debts from smallest debt to largest debt (ignore the percentage rates)
- Tackle the small ones first. Start smallest and work your way up
- Do whatever you possibly can to pay down the small ones FAST. That’s the purpose of the Dave Ramsey way… you get those “small victories” along the way since you are tackling the small debts first.
So basically, that’s the Debt Snowball. Pay off small debts first and work your way to the big ones. Doing in this way does give you some momentum. There is something super fun about seeing that small $342 credit card paid off QUICK! And makes you WANT to continue working diligently. If you started with the $10,000 debt, it would take a while to see progress and the fear is that you would eventually give up.
So… to pay off the small ones…
- If you don’t need it, sell it.
- Clean out your closets and sell what you can!
- Look in your garage– never know what you might find that you can sell
- Sell items on ebay if they are bigger and nicer
- Follow the other steps (like cutting down on bills and groceries) and use the difference to pay off your debt
- Get a part-time job, offer to rake yards, offer to babysit…
- And cut up your CARDS!!!!!!!
WHATEVER IT TAKES! Get those small debts paid off! You CAN do it! I believe in you!!
Message me with any questions!